Established in 1912 as the Metal Office Furniture Company, our first patent for a metal wastebasket meant safety for office workers. In crowded cities where fires spread quickly, replacing wicker with steel was a lifesaving innovation.
Founders Peter M. Wege, Walter D. Idema and David D. Hunting built the business in Grand Rapids, Michigan–a city then known as “The Furniture City” because of its many wood furniture manufacturers.
By 1919 the company began to establish its dealer network, making desks, cabinets and other products available nationwide. Officially known as Steelcase Inc. beginning in 1954, the company grew globally and executed the largest single shipment in the industry in 1973, providing over 400 truckloads of furniture for Chicago’s Sears Tower. Steelcase became publicly traded in 1998.
We’ve been looking forward since the beginning. From our early years to 21st-century breakthroughs, Steelcase turns insights into innovations and pushes limits to transform and reimagine the workplace.